RTO is to heat the organic waste gas to 760 ℃ and decompose VOCs into carbon dioxide and water. The high-temperature gas produced by oxidation flows through a special ceramic regenerator to make the ceramic body warm up and "heat storage". This "heat storage" is used to preheat the organic waste gas which is subsequently entered, so as to save the fuel consumption of waste gas heating. The ceramic regenerator should be divided into more than three (including three) zones or chambers. Each regenerator undergoes the procedures of heat storage, heat release and cleaning in turn, and works continuously.
After the "heat release" of the regenerator, part of the qualified clean exhaust gas should be introduced to clean the regenerator immediately (to ensure that the VOC removal rate is above 99%). Only after the cleaning is completed can the "heat storage" procedure be started. The characteristics of RTO regenerative waste gas treatment equipment are: low operation cost, high treatment efficiency of organic waste gas, suitable for waste gas concentration of 1000 ~ 10000mg / m3, decomposition efficiency: 99% - 99.5%. At present, it is the most economical and reliable VOCs treatment technology which reaches the strict emission standard of 50mg / m3, and has been widely used.
RTO有机废气处理设备又可分为阀门切换式和旋转式。阀门切换式RTO是更常见的一种RTO有机废气处理设备，包括典型的代技术2室式RTO和第二代技术3室式RTO。其由2个或多个陶瓷填充蓄热室, 通过阀门的切换, 改变气流的方向, 从而达到预热VOC废气的目的。
RTO organic waste gas treatment equipment can be divided into valve switching type and rotary type. Valve switching RTO is the most common RTO organic waste gas treatment equipment, including the typical first generation technology 2-chamber RTO and the second-generation technology 3-chamber RTO. The regenerator is filled with two or more ceramics, and the direction of air flow is changed by switching valves, so as to preheat VOC waste gas.
Generally speaking, the more regenerators, the higher the purification efficiency and the higher the thermal efficiency. Commonly used are 5-chamber RTO and 12 chamber RTO. The cost of 5-cell RTO is high and has been rarely used. The 12 chamber RTO is deformed into a cylindrical rotary type, becoming the product of the third generation technology. There is no cleaning process for 2-chamber RTO, and there is short-circuit phenomenon of waste gas and clean gas after treatment during valve switching. The average purification rate can only reach 90%, which can not meet the current environmental protection emission requirements of 50mg / m3;
RTO has the following advantages in treating organic waste gas
(1) It can treat almost all kinds of organic waste gas;
(2) The flow rate of organic waste gas is very elastic (nominal flow rate is 20% ~ 120%);
(3) It can adapt to the change and fluctuation of VOCs composition and concentration in organic waste gas;
(4) It is not sensitive to a small amount of dust and solid particles in the exhaust gas;
(5) Among all the thermal combustion purification methods, the thermal efficiency is the highest;
(6) Under the condition of appropriate exhaust gas concentration, self heating operation can be realized without adding auxiliary fuel;
(7) The purification efficiency is as high as 99.5%;
(8) It has the advantages of less maintenance, safe and reliable operation, periodic removal of organic sediment, replacement of heat storage body, less pressure loss and pressure fluctuation of the whole device, and long service life of the device.
However, RTO equipment directly processes organic waste gas with large air volume and low concentration, and its energy consumption is high; RTO equipment requires continuous operation as far as possible; the one-time investment cost of RTO is relatively high, so it is not suitable for the treatment of organic matters containing sulfur, chlorine and halogen.